Your own motivation to become an EFL teacher may be the result of any combination of the following:
- An affordable career change option compared to university - The EBC programme costs much less than a university course and takes only a few weeks to finish plus EBC helps you get work and provides lifetime career support. How much does a University course cost and how many years to repay the loans???
- Earn a decent wage - There are many areas of the world where English teachers are in demand. Financial compensation varies but in general you'll earn enough to have a fairly decent life-style. Certainly enough to explore the country you're in and gain invaluable experience in living in and adapting to a different lifestyle.
- Travel - Teaching abroad is a great idea if you want to travel. Explore the world and pay for it by teaching English. There are thousands of teaching jobs abroad in many different countries. The only limit on your travel will be where you want to go.
- Learn another language - Just because you're teaching English, doesn't mean you won't be able to learn the local language. You'll have to go shopping, go to the bank, mail letters etc. There is no more effective way to learn a new language or brush-up one that you already know than by living in the country where it is spoken. Many people can only dream of immersing themselves in a foreign language like this, but you're one of lucky ones who can really do it by getting a teaching job abroad.
- Experience life in a different culture – The world is full of many different cultures, you're own culture is probably made up of many things imported from other cultures. Your life at home just gives you a slight taste of overseas cultures. Teaching English abroad will give you the opportunity to experience life in another culture to a much greater depth than 2 weeks on holiday or by following what it says in a guidebook.
- Expand your life-awareness - Break free of your current situation and put on your explorers hat. There's nothing like an adventure. You'll be amazed at what you learn about yourself and the other cultures you choose to live in. National Geographic is one thing, but being there is a completely different story.
- Just graduated and don't know what to do - If you're exhausted after finishing your degree or masters and don't want to rush straight into the rat-race, teaching English abroad is ideal for taking some time off, travelling, getting some new life experiences and taking a time out to think through the alternatives.
- Bored with your current job and want a change - Teaching English abroad is a great opportunity to do something totally different. It will allow you to travel, visit other countries and give you some time to think about new careers.
- Get trained in a new skill - Being able to teach is an invaluable skill that you will be able to use throughout your personal and professional life. Transmitting knowledge is a highly regarded skill that is sought after in education and also in the corporate world.
- Think outside of the box - Many people wouldn't consider working overseas let alone living abroad because it goes against their cultural programming. Step outside of your "box" and you'll be amazed at what you'll see and learn. Career success is usually given to people who think outside of the box and have cross-cultural experiences.
- Beef up your CV/resume - If you've learned how to teach a classroom full of non-English speakers, you have the fundamental skills needed to teach almost anything. You'll have to learn a new subject, but the mechanics and techniques of teaching and knowledge transmission remain the same. If you can teach in a classroom, you'll be able to teach others in the workplace. All employers want to hire people with good communications skills that enable them to successfully and efficiently transmit knowledge and information to others.
Whatever your reasons may be, becoming an accredited English language teacher is a good career choice. You will gain a valuable skill set that:
- will always be in demand,
- pays a decent wage,
- can be used virtually anywhere in the world,
- gives you the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and lifestyles,
- and last but not least, opens the door to a highly rewarding career that not only benefits you, it also benefits your students and helps them improve their lives too.
To become an English teacher all that is required is some of your time to take one of our EBC training courses.